Monday, March 30, 2009

Rubber Hits the Road

Our eyes are propped wide open with the to-do list. The role of General Contractor puts plenty of responsibility on us to ensure the flow of the subs.

Our foundation is done, but not really. Footing drains are going in, and then backfill. Before that, though, there is lots for us to get done. I trenched between the house and utility junction, and laid a 2-1/2" conduit for power, a 2" conduit for communications and a 1-1/4" water line. Because the power comes up at a certain spot, I needed to put up a peice of strut and a clamp to hold the pipe before I could position and stake-off the lines in the trench. There is a required separation between water and power, and because it's a driveway I took pictures before backfilling in case the electrical inspector wants to see it. I suppose we should get an electrical permit, before I get us in a bind.

The water and comms pass through two of the sleeves we put below grade into the crawl space, and the geothermal loop uses the other one. After Cal finishes laying the footing drain, and before he backfills, we'll have to put in a water line for the rainwater collection system. More on that later, I'm sure (after I figure out what to do!). If I stay on it, we could conceivably have power and water in the house shortly after framing starts, though I doubt I'll be that organized or "bored".

Sandi just chimed in about typing in "her" blog. That's pretty funny, and I'm pretty happy that she is into it. That means you'll keep getting updates in a not-so-technical manner with lots of pictures. I'd put a picture in here, but I'm lazy and left my camera in a box outside and it's late.

Oh yea, before I forget, I also put in dual ground rods for the electrical system. I did it now because I don't have to pound the rods into the clay all the way as about 3' will be buried in the backfill. That's not lazy, it's working smart! .

I'm tired, and it's only the beginning. But it's a good kind of tired, and a very nice bonus, though rare, is that I'm much more likely to get a back rub after working on the house than after a hard day working on skis!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tom, Are you working on the house full time or splitting it with Olympic. and how's Olympic doing in these difficult times?

Brian