Wednesday, January 8, 2014

The bad along with the good...

This whole 'Hey, let's build a house!' thing generally has been a wonderful experience so far. That's not to say it's been without problems. I guess if I want to be the General Contractor, that entails managing the subs. Good and bad.  I will say that the large majority of them have been GREAT to work with. I still smile when I think about our framing contractor who got so animated about barge board. Love him! There always has to be a couple bad apples in the barrel, though, just to make you really appreciate the good ones. There was the roofer who showed up hung over, balked at safety harnesses and (the final straw) tried skipping the tarpaper on part of the roof. The lead roofer, fixed it and didn't bring that guy back. The latest was a taping duo who were making themselves comfortable and padding their time sheets. I'm really not confrontational, but don't cheat me. I try to be more than fair in my business dealings and won't tolerate dishonesty. First time I had to kick someone off my job. Crap. Now I have to get the last bit sanded before the texture guys come tomorrow!!

No comments: