Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Wanted: Cure for Sleep

It would please me to not need to sleep. It seems like such a waste, when there is so much going on and to do. But then again, I'd miss early morning snuggles and the wonderful feeling of hitting a soft pillow after a hard days work.

I picked up Bonnie today, from the vet. We buried her under her dog house. She was a good dog.

Another signature on the permit card today; under-floor inspection. As soon as the inspector left the guys completely sheeted the house floor and began to layout all of the walls. I encouraged the girls to go skate on the floor, the only chance they would have. They declined. Instead, we went over to the neighbors where we had stashed two goats we found on our road. We herded them into a barn stall where I wrassled one of them to get the tag information. I don't know if it did any good, as a Google search has turned up nothing on the tags. Ideas welcome. The neighbor Cindy does not care for goats, and they have been crapping on her deck and yard, which she keeps nice, so she's happy to have them penned up pending finding the owners.

So I washed the garage slab down, keeping it wet as long as reasonable. The slower concrete cures the stronger it becomes. My plan is to keep it void of wheels and crap other than lumber and workers until it is well-cured and I can put a sealer on it. Oh, I guess we didn't talk about the garage floor. We got it while the weather was good. It was a huge rush to lay the radiant tubing before the truck arrived, but we got it done and I'm glad. It'll be nice to knock the chill and condensation off the floor and our cost to do so is nill except for the tubing (about $200 worth) and a valve to add it to the house system.

The rain water collection system is about done, with the last two barrels connected up and in place. After I'm done with this post I'll go out and bury them with the loader/backhoe we rented. I still have to dig another one of them up and move it, as I placed it in a hurry without thinking about the downspout locations and how best to gather water from the various gutters. I'm thinking now I'll bring the collection line into my crawl space where it'll go through a pump and off to the garden. That way I can install a fitting which could allow me access to that water in an emergency like an extended power outage (gotta flush!).

I'm using the backhoe also to trench about 600' worth of irrigation, lighting, security and other services about the yard. Sandi will be happy to have water in the garden, and I'll be able to finally get the vehicle detection and other secret stuff installed. Sandi keeps asking why we need to rent this machine, but she'll appreciate all the stuff getting done and looking good, including the four trees we transplanted, the underground power to the neighbor, the french drain being back-filled, the big rock pile being made into tree rings, the septic connection to the house, power to the old shed, extra dirt donated to the other neighbor, the old gang-mower being moved someplace else (where it'll become fodder for blackberry vines) and I'm sure a host of other tasks. Only if I don't sleep.

So now we're out-of-the-ground, progress should be notable!

No comments: