Monday, May 5, 2008

Deconstructing Our Home

In The Beginning....




This is our home. This *was* it's location. It had a nice large planter on the end, with ivy and a couple of larger evergreen shrubs which we put Christmas lights in. There were also decks on both sides. It is about 1600 square feet, and was built in 1975 or so. It's a piece of crap, but it's clean.





Nephew Matt working a precision instrument (chainsaw).



We found this crew via referral. They're from Sedro Wooley, which is about as hick-town as it gets around here. A nice enough crew, and they knew thier stuff so we stayed out of the way. Sandi made them cookies the first day, in an attempt to keep them happy and not break anything.
I was responsible for putting the tongues on each half, which we didn't have. Sandi's dad had one lying around, which he gave us, and I found another one from a local salvage dealer for $35. As I'm a hack when it comes to welding, I made a deal with Paul who works for Everett Engineering where they build bridges and marine tooling and other huge stuff. He needed parts for a security system and wha-la we have a deal. To finish the entire tongue story, the end result was that the one we got from Sandi's dad held up fine. The $35 one broke right away, which Paul and I fixed and reinforced. It made it to the final heave into position and folded. I cut it up for scrap.




Tight working quarters. Too bad we didn't catch it on fire.






We of course had to move our crap out, due to the weight on the wheels and axles. It was a fine opportunity to organize and toss, and we made a very nice contribution to a local charity. The biggest down-side to it is it all ended up in my shop! And it's STILL THERE. We left the piano in the house, with legs removed. Damned if we're moving that out then in again; it weighs about 650#. Maybe I'll blog about that piano some day. Maybe not....


Nice use of my garage, if I may say so.









It took them three days.

These guys made it look easy (but not THAT easy!)



Nothing got broke.




The weather cooperated nicely, until the last day anyway. That's what tarps are for, right?


We camped.







And it got done!


Sandi gets very happy when we make progress!

(Isn't she cute?)







This all was last year, August of 2007. I'm writing this on Cinco de Mayo, 2008. I'm next to write about our septic project, hopefully in a day or two.

On another note, I found this free blog site by doing a Google search, and coincidentally (or not) it is a Google site. I'm not liking it. Perhaps I'll get used to it. I could do this as a web page, but then Sandi could not write in it and you could not post responses into it. So I may put up with the quirks, or find another application to use. I welcome both your suggestions and patience.


See ya.

Tom

No comments: